Scones may seem intimidating to make, but are actually really simple. After making these several times, I’ve never had a batch I wasn’t satisfied with. No electric mixer is required, and these scones only take 15 minutes to bake.
These scones are simple, quick, and turn out perfect everytime.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 stick butter cold
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. For this recipe I use the lower middle rack. I've forgotten to lower it when making before and they still turned out fine.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a cheese grater to grate cold butter into dry ingredients. Mix with fork. Will by slightly clumpy.
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and vanilla. Add egg and whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients. Use hands to combine ingredients, until no longer sticky.
- Roll mixture into a ball. flatten into 8 inch circle about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Spray cooking oil onto a large knife. Use knife to cut dough into 8 pieces. move cut dough onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook scones for 15 minutes, or just until just before the dough starts to look golden brown on the top.